St Peter’s History
The first Maroochydore Anglican Services were held at Picnic Point around 1915 in private homes, Brighton Guest House, in Mr Thomas (Tommie) O’Connor’s old hall, then in his newly built Star Theatre. In January 1925, Mr O’Connor offered to give the corner block to the congregation when subdividing the triangle-shaped land facing the main road on the condition that they got together to build a church. The offer was accepted at a meeting on the 12th of February and the stump capping ceremony was then held in May. One hundred pounds ($200) was borrowed from the Diocese and all the remaining funds were raised by the congregation.
On December 12 1925, the church was opened and dedicated and a collection was taken, which cleared the remaining debt. In 1958, the little, old church was turned around to face the opposite way and a new sanctuary was constructed on the eastern end, with a temporary extension added to connect the two buildings.
In 1967-68, the current brick church building was built around the old, wooden building, then the old church building was demolished inside the walls of the new.
On December 7 1975, The Most Reverend, F R Arnott, Archbishop of Brisbane, held the Golden Jubilee which celebrated the first St. Peters, and the consecration of the present building which was now, free of debt.
On Anzac Day 1970, the current brick church was dedicated as ST. PETER’S WAR MEMORIAL CHURCH and was intended to be used for worthwhile civic purposes as well as church services. The unveiling of the beautiful memorial windows was performed by three representatives of the armed forces. Total cost of the new building was $22,500 with the memorial windows costing $6,000, most of which was given by various donors as a memorial to those fallen in the war.
St. Peter’s Anglican Church is an important heritage landmark building located in the Worship Centre of the new Maroochydore CBD. As our current facilities are tired and inadequate to meet the needs of a vibrant growing church community, we look forward to enhancing our current site, in keeping with its prominent worship centre location. We aim to provide the necessary modern facilities for those with disabilities, together with pronouncing God’s ongoing presence to the wider community.
Our plans incorporate the upgrading of the interior and exterior of our church building, providing a modern impressive appearance without losing its heritage grace and appeal. The three magnificent stained glass windows will become a prominent focus of our church interior and worship. A new enlarged parish hall will be built to cater for our growing children’s and community activities together with modern upgraded kitchen facilities, as well as providing improved office and meeting spaces on a mezzanine level. These will be accessed by a lift. The church and parish hall buildings will be linked by an all-weather concourse accessed by ramps to assist the disabled. The outdoor surfaced area will be enlarged to provide urgently needed additional car parking spaces.
This is an exciting God given opportunity to provide for a blessed and growing future, one worthy of your support.